9.23.2012

Weaving Class

It's been a while since I've done any weaving but I fixed that this weekend. Two workshops, two projects, two looms back in action.

Saturday's project was a woven scarf made from self-striping sock yarn on a rigid heddle loom.We only had 3 hours in class, so most people made a small sampler. Yeah, not me. I warped up a 72" long x 10" wide full-length scarf. I didn't get it done in class but I finished it tonight while watching teevee.Pink's not my usual color but this yarn's been in my stash for awhile and I wanted to use it up. The scarf took only half the skein, so I may be making another one soon.


Today's class was six hours, which was a very good thing considering that this was the project -  
Our instructor's Stash Vest was published in the latest edition of Handwoven and I love it. You take 4-6 yarns from your stash,  
put an 8 yard warp on the loom (this is 5.5 yards; I'll do a separate 3 yard warp for jacket's last piece), weave, cut, sew, enjoy. Easy, right? 
Surprisingly, it almost is that easy. We started at 9 and I had the loom warped by lunch. By the time 4 o'clock rolled around, I'd woven over 30".
 
Of the eight in today's class, only three are doing the Stash Vest. 
The others chose the sane route are doing a stash scarf, a much smaller project.(click pix to see bigger)

And since I'm back to weaving, I need some new tools, right? And it matched  yesterday's scarf; how could I leave it behind?Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  

1 comments:

Vickie said...

I love the vest!!!