7.08.2009

FOs!

The Pineapple Shawl is done, blocked, and ready for her photo shoot. The original pattern was for a place mat using size 10 thread and a steel hook. My idea was to use DK weight yarn - Dalegarn Svale, a cotton and silk blend that just happened to be in my stash - with a large hook - US size "I" - and add two repeats of the pineapple motif along each side to increase the length. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The top edge folds down to become a shawl collar, the cotton/silk blend makes it the perfect weight for a summer wrap, and it can also be used as a cover for your legs when the breeze comes up in the evening as you're reclining poolside. All in all, not a bad little project.

I also finished spinning the 4 ounce mystery roving, then plied and set the twist. It's about 230 yards of woolly goodness at close to a DK weight.
This is the thinnest I've consistently spun through an entire roving. Navajo-plying gave me a chance to use the new lazy kate Dick made me. Isn't it gorgeous? The base is maple, the top 40-year old walnut. And it works beautifully. My old kate, that came with my Lendrum, was too light-weight and tended to slide toward me every time I pulled on the yarn. This one stays right where I put it and it also evens out the tension on the singles so they don't break as easily, especially when spun very thin. Love my new toy.

1 comments:

Deneen said...

Gorgeous shawl!