7.31.2008

Old FO

I was digging through my closet today and came across this sweater that I finished, except for the buttons, back in March 2007. It was the first sweater I did (except for a couple I made over 20 years ago) and I thought of it as a learning experience. Good thing, since I was disappointed in the finished product; the body was too stiff, with no drape; it was shorter than I like; and the fit was too tight in the shoulders and arms.

Seeing it today made me wonder what would happen if I washed and blocked it. A quick soak in cold water and fabric softener made a huge difference. I stretched the length and shoulders when I blocked it and it fits much better.
The arms are still too tight, but I think they'll stretch with wear. I added some vintage abalone shell buttons, wove in the ends, and voila - a finished sweater. I'm hoping it will continue to soften and stretch with time. I don't think it will ever be a favorite but I think it's wearable.

1 comments:

Deneen said...

It's awfully pretty and I love the colors. Hopefully, it'll work out for you.