6.15.2008

Weaving Update

The bamboo/tencel shawl is done. I warped most of Friday and Saturday, finishing early Saturday evening. I'm thinking I should write a book about all the rookie mistakes I'm making and solutions to the problems I'm causing myself. I've definitely got enough material.

Like heddles. Most people probably make sure they have enough for a project before they start. Waaay too easy. The good news - I knew where to find directions to make temporary string heddles.
The bad news? I needed 15-20 of them on three of the four harnesses. May I just say that it takes a long time - and causes severe strain to shoulder muscles and patience - to make and string that many 'temporary fixes'? (And the unevenness of the bottom knots? Big problem. Had to go back and fix each one of those.)

Finally started weaving Saturday night and all went well for awhile. I was happy with the texture of the fabric and the twill lines were at the 45 degree angle I was striving for. You know it couldn't last. I don't know if it was the bamboo/tencel threads or the way I tensioned the warp (exactly how the book said to do it . . . ) but I started having significant tension issues about half way through. By the end, I had fishing and cuckoo clock weights hanging from almost every warp bundle. Very attractive.

The shawl's pre-washed size is 16" wide by 52" long, excluding fringe.
I love the colors and the texture. But for my next project? I'm going back to towels.

0 comments: