2.03.2008

FO!

I finished weaving in the ends on this project while watching the Super Bowl. This is the store sample for the entrelac scarf crochet class I'm teaching in April. The interlocking diamonds are worked length-wise using a variation of Tunisian crochet. Once you get the hang of it, it's a fairly simple, fun process. I love that the blocks look almost woven. The project is feltable - I used Cascade 220 and Noro Kureyon wool yarns - but I wasn't sure if I wanted my scarf felted or not. I'd like to show my students an example of 'before' - unfelted - and 'after' - felted - and give them an idea of how much shrinkage to expect, so I made a small sample 15.5" long by 5.25" wide and gently felted it in the washing machine, checking every 2 minutes until it lost most of the stitch definition but was still pliable. The resulting sample is now 14" long by 4" wide. I like the felted texture but I'm still undecided on whether or not to felt the big scarf. I think I'll wear it awhile - at least until after the class - and then decide.

This was my first entrelac project and I like the process so much, I've started a baby afghan for little Miss Anna Michelle, who's due in mid-March. It will give me something to do on the plane to Colorado next Thursday and I'm using up stashed yarns. Bonus!

0 comments: