1.21.2008

Spin Time

One good thing about the crocheting moratorium is that I'm getting more spinning done. (The shoulder is feeling much better, thank you for asking.) I love the colors and liked spinning this merino roving (from Chameleon Colorworks) but for some reason, I never got around to finishing the yarn. These singles have been sitting around for an embarrassingly long time.

I want to use the Woolee Winder bobbins for another project and I thought plying the 2 bobbins together would take just an hour or so . . . three hours, and two Andean plying tutorials later, I finally finished. I started out with my usual two ply, but one bobbin had at least twice as much fiber as the other, so I ended up 'handy plying' (knittyspin's version of Andean plying) what remained on the bigger bobbin. The winding (and winding) around the hand is pretty monotonous,
but I really enjoy plying the two ends together; the hand motions needed to keep the yarn flowing smoothly are rhythmic and soothing. I ended up with 147.6 yards of 2-ply yarn. The skein has several knots where the singles broke repeatedly, but I can cut those out when I start knitting or crocheting. I'm just glad to have it finally done.

0 comments: