11.18.2007

Treasure Trove

I love going to flea markets, especially the one in Ventura. I've found some incredible things there, including my beloved Bekki, an unused, fully-functional Ashford Traveler spinning wheel for just $65. We occasionally go to the Rose Bowl flea market, but the prices are usually higher and I don't find as many things I can't live without.

Today's favorite find was this casserole dish -
I love the fluid lines and the steam vent in her mouth. No chips or cracks, and the dirt from its days as a planter was easily removed. A bargain at $15.

Sandy spotted this gem but decided she didn't want it.
It's hand-painted and the turkey (chicken? The painted tail looks turkey-ish to me; this is now my Thanksgiving egg plate) comes off to reveal a little yellow bowl - great for olives or pickles. $9.00, marked down from $20 because there's a little chip on the red comb.

A lovely crocheted apron for a whopping $3. It's in great shape except for a little discoloration in one spot. It reminds me of the "dress" aprons from the 50's and 60's. It's probably of more recent vintage but it's still cool.

Dick found some old tools and calipers that he wanted and we also bought two Edison records.
Dick has a small collection of these, and a player to play them, so I try to buy unique ones when I find them. These are both in good shape, still have their lids, and the songs listed on the container are what is actually on the record - which is rare. I've seen these go for $20 or more; our two were $8 each. The day's most unusual find? OK, the most unusual find that actually came home with us? A spinning wheel - just the wheel, nothing else. The metal and wood are in good shape, just in need of a good cleaning. Dick plans to build a functional spinning wheel around this. No need to reinvent the wheel, right? (sorry; I couldn't resist.) A $10 treasure. I spotted three spinning wheels today, but none came home with me. One was a great wheel that looked to be in excellent shape; I'd love to have one, but they are just too big to fit in this house. Another was a traditional wheel with a metal treadle, probably from the early 1800's, also in good shape. This style just doesn't appeal to me as much as castle wheels and the $280 price tag was a little much. The last was a castle wheel with a lever on the front so you could push the treadle with your hand rather than using your foot. It was only $65 and I was tempted - but it was in sad shape, with thick black paint covering every surface. It will have to be someone else's treasure.

Yesterday we went to a sale by Ojai glass artist, Teal Rowe. We have a couple of her pieces that we love - including a glass paint brush (scroll down) - and added two more to our collection. Dick chose this teal bowl - I couldn't get a good photo; it's much prettier in person.

I picked out this yellow vase -
I love the fluid lines and swirls of color.
So pretty.

0 comments: