6.25.2007

Stash Is Good

Whenever I start a new hobby, I sometimes tend to go a tad overboard buying tools, books, and other things to support my new obsession. Such was the case when I took up weaving two years ago. I, um, collected some coned yarns that I thought I might use someday. I didn't realize how much I had until I tried to organize it today. I think this is all of it. And as with everything else I collect, it's a mixed bag. I have some beautiful black tencel, white single-ply silk, and purple wool. I have a box of cotton/poly spools that should make great towels. More carpet warp than anyone in their right mind would ever need. Some nice shiny stuff (polyester/rayon, I think) that I bought last year as weft for a pre-cut warp shawl. Some ACKrylic that's already coming unplied (what was I thinking?!?) And my favorite - cone after cone of organic cotton and cotton chenille from Fox Fibers. Lovely, soft stuff that I'm almost afraid to use because my weaving isn't "good enough". Well, it will never be good enough if I don't practice!

Alice and I spent four hours together today; it would have been more but Dick made me stop so I wouldn't overdo it. I did a couple of
sections with various fibers before starting a towel sampler with the cotton/poly on the same warp. I'm weaving one inch of tabby and two inches in various twills from Marguerite Davison's "A Handweaver's Pattern Book" to make a 30" red, blue and green towel. I've done just over 16" so far. If I have some warp left over, I want to weave a short sample in the Fox Fiber. I don't want to use too much of it for a sampler but I'm really excited to see how it weaves up.

1 comments:

Woven Spun said...

Awesome job and I think you officially have more weaving stash then I do. And since I am packing it all up for a move next week, well...suffice to say it's quite a bit :)