9.21.2006

Happy, Happy

What do you do to celebrate 32 years of date days? Go to the Long Beach Aquarium aka Aquarium of the Pacific. LBA is only about 10 years old and fairly small, but they have some nice exhibits. And there has been an explosion of commercial building in the immediate area. It's been 2 or 3 years since we've been down there; used to be that the aquarium was pretty much in an area by itself. Now it's surrounded by restaurants and shops and walkways shaped like rollercoasters. Very neat.

One of my main reasons for picking the aquarium as today's destination was these guys:
Leafy Sea Dragons. Given the low light level and their constant movement, my photos are pretty bad. Here's what they are supposed to look like.Like a seahorse in Oscars attire. Sea dragons are incredibly graceful and other-worldly, floating along with the current. I could sit and watch them for hours. (Then again, maybe I just like them because the male sea dragon carries the eggs until they hatch. heh. Great idea.)

I discovered another interesting creature during today's visit, one I'd never seen before. A Shovelnose Guitarfish.
Where do they come up with these names? When it's moving near the floor, it looks like its cousin, the ray. But when it's swimming? The head folds in at the bottom and it really does look like a shovel.

Remodel Update!

Dick complained that he was a little stiff and sore today. Gee, I wonder if this could be the reason?
Or maybe this?On Wednesday, he spent over 12 hours tiling about 3/4 of the family room - leaving us narrow pathways around the perimeter so we could get to the kitchen and my studio. Tomorrow, he's planning to finish up so he can apply the grout on Saturday.

And my job? Remember how I get only the 'unskilled' tasks? I was responsible for taping 4 foam spacers to each tile.
That way the master tile guy could put each one in place quickly, without wasting time fiddling with the spacers.Tough job, but somebody's got to do it. (D tried to make me feel better by saying it saved him about 2 hours of work. Ok, I'll buy that.)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just looking at Dick crawling around on the floor makes me hurt! Floor looks wonderful. :) v