8.11.2006

Inchworming Along

I thought I'd graduated from inchworm spinning. The last two skeins I've done have been spun woolen - it's easier on my hands (I don't hold the fiber as tightly) and I like the texture much better. I'm trying to spin black Merino laps; the fiber is short and slippery. It's very frustrating - spin it too thin and it breaks; don't put enough twist (or look at it cross-wise) and it breaks. I really want a black single to ply with the color batts we made at the last Guild workshop, so I'll keep inching my way along.

I've got the Merino on Bekki, the Traveller.
I can only spin it for a short time before my hand cramps or I get too frustrated. So, I set up Florence, the Lendrum, to finish spinning the Ocean Breeze wool I got from Wove-N-Spun. I already have one completed skein in this colorway and I love it. Not sure what I'll do with the finished yarn. Maybe just admire it for awhile. I've got the two wheels set up side-by-side so I can move from one to the other easily. I want to hurry and finish the Breeze so I can start in on this: and this: Aren't they gorgeous? And totally different from each other. The top is a Columbia/Mohair blend of white, blue and green. So soft and delicate. The second one is a Romedale/Tussah silk blend that just fascinates me. I love browns and earth tones. I think this will make a very nice, very soft yarn. I picked them up during the Sheep to Shawl event at the fair. And I'm anxious to start spinning them. So I'll keep the Merino on Bekki and work away at it, little by little, while I spin "fun" fiber on Florence. I wonder if I can get Eleanor, the Dundas, working . . . . I could have three wheels in a row, all with different fiber. (I think of this as multi-tasking, rather than compulsive behavior. It's much more positive. *grin* )

Yarn Tails Tags:,

2 comments:

Cherizac said...

Elisa, did you get the merino lap at Modern Gypsy? I spun one too, and found it harder to spin than other Merino I'd spun up. Might be a function of it being a mill end. I did spin it all and it's been occupying a precious bobbin for ages, til I figure out what to do with it! Good Luck! Cheryl

Leigh said...

I've been surfing The Spinning Wheel and came across your blog. What lovely yarns and fibers! I don't reckon you ever graduate from the short draw (g). You are wise to not let it frustrate you.